Papa's Footprint: A four million year old actor and father tells his story.

Papa's Footprint: A four million year old actor and father tells his story.


Papa's Footprint" is my fiction/fact/ autobiographical odyssey, beginning with my birth, four million years ago, in Africa. From there, on through Europe to Broadway and Hollywood. All along, pondering the wonders and mysteries of life on this earth. I have been tutored on the marvelous and bewildering mysteries, concerning women, by Athena, Goddess of Wisdom, who, from time to time, resides in the attic behind my eyes. My relationship with God, whom I often refer to as BIG ROOSTER, has been rough, though respectful. I have fathered wonderfully fascinating children. three of which were born in the 1700s. losing one of those, along with my dear wife, in childbirth. Seven others were born in this past century, four of which did follow me into the performing and creative arts. Of the other two, one is an RN, and the other is a "work at home" mom with nursing tendencies. At present, I have five grandchildren who are in process of sorting out their young lives. But, along with this good fortune, came the loss of my daughter, Justine, at the age of twenty-five, in a single car accident on the Merritt Parkway. dealing me a devastating blow. This book is dedicated to Justine. In order to emerge from that unbearable darkness, I, gradually, made steps forward by seeking and experiencing small doses of laughter. This laughter did perform as an opiate and balm, allowing me some much needed respite. Being in the arts, I've found and made friends with equally inquisitive minds, expressing their thoughts on stage, on canvas, in print, in song, and in good conversation. I have been educated and entertained by knowing and sharing with their generous spirits. I confess to having had many loves along the way, but I am happily committed to spending eternity with my dear Kate. Kate and I fell in love, when we were about fifteen years old, in my Aunt Ella and Uncle Gravy's vegetable garden, in Horse Shoe Bend, Tennessee, back in 1845. I ventured west, seeking California's gold, with which I planned to purchase some land along the Cumberland. For various reasons, Kate would not hear from me for forty years, or more. This did not bode well for the keeping of my promise to Kate. I thought I'd found her again in the autumn of 1940, but this turned out to be a mistake. As I grow older, I do take great pleasure in reliving past performances, both on stage, and off, with some very exciting women? mostly creative and performing artists. However, most of my activities take place within the confines of the available attic space behind my eyes. But, what a show! I revisit these meetings by using a technique, I first came upon, in the desert, on my way to California. I call this "travelling without leaving"? which turns out to be a saving grace at my advancing age. I have written this book to better reveal myself to myself and to my children and grandchildren, and to any and all other interested parties. I ve experienced successes and failures. thrills and disappointments. euphoria and tragedy. all making up a personal footprint that I leave behind, as I continue. My footprint leaves poems, letters, fable, humorous paintings, oral histories, family folklore with some added "tater stretching", and many stories about my navigation through an unpredictable terrain called "show business". Some call me Henry. some call me Hank. and some call me Papa. This is my story. Love, Papa

Papa's Footprint: A Four Million Year Old Actor and Father Tells His Story
Price
14.0


Home
Copyright © 2010 Best Broadway Shoes All Rights Reserved.